Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Mom - Love Never Fails...

I Corinthians 13: 8-13

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

My mother passed away in July of 1992. The last few days of her life were spent in and out of a coma. Many medical professionals will tell you they are not sure what a coma patient is aware of so I occasionally read Bible passages to my mother.

I have always enjoyed I Corinthians 13 for its active articulation of love. But as I turned and began to read, suddenly my eyes filled with tears and my voice broke as I came to verse 11. “When I was a child”, I verbalized to this woman who had nurtured me since birth, “I spoke like a child, I thought like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways.” I haltingly continued to verse 12: “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face.” I did not think I would see her face to face for many years and I sobbed all the more.

I believe in love that never fails. My mother’s life was her faith and her family. She did not attend college until later in life but she was a committed Christian who offered what talents she had to others in her life. She served in Vacation Bible School ten days before her death. What my mother possessed was left here but her love and memories will go on forever in our minds and with God.

“A special lady”, my father remarked as he knelt by her open casket for the last time. She was indeed. She loved me as only a mother could love a son and she introduced me to a Love greater than life itself. I will never forget my mother’s last words to me: “Love you,” she murmured softly as she drew my cheek to her lips. I replied, “You always have.”


A Faithful Response: Write a letter to your mom (if she is still alive) and tell her you love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment