Sunday, March 14, 2010

Faith Sustains Us

Ezekial 17: 22-24

22 " 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will take a shoot from the very top of a cedar and plant it; I will break off a tender sprig from its topmost shoots and plant it on a high and lofty mountain. 23 On the mountain heights of Israel I will plant it; it will produce branches and bear fruit and become a splendid cedar. Birds of every kind will nest in it; they will find shelter in the shade of its branches. 24 All the trees of the field will know that I the LORD bring down the tall tree and make the low tree grow tall. I dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish. "'I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it.'"

This passage may be an early messianic reference. The messiah will be for people of every kind. Or perhaps Jesus had this passage in mind when he told the parable of the mustard seed (Mark 4: 26ff). Faith only requires a tender sprig from the topmost shoots. God does the planting and nurturing and the tree produces the branches and fruit it was created to produce. The passage may also be a reference to Israel desiring to turn in upon itself and keep her faith rather than spreading Yahweh’s message. The Word of Christ is for everyone.

Just after Christmas, 1992, my family and I were traveling from Illinois to Maryland to spend a few days with my family. We were going to be a couple of hours late, so I stopped to call ahead. A baby-sitter for my sister’s three little children answered the phone and haltingly told me my brother-in-law had succumbed to the throat cancer he had been battling for two and one-half years. My sister became a widow at 28 with three children under the age of six. I remember sobbing, “It’s not supposed to happen that way!”

Today is my sister’s birthday (written for June 27, 1996). Since her husband’s death, my sister, who was a “C” student in High School, attended a two-year Nursing program and earned mostly “A”s on her journey toward the Associate’s degree. Her faith sustained her and continues to sustain her. I am proudly planning to drive up next month and watch her graduate.

Never claim your theology from one verse. Our relationship with God travels beyond the seemingly robotic image of verse 24. God does not sit up above us and push little “smite” buttons. If this is an early messianic reference, the vision offers shelter for all of us. Sometimes in the ,midst of life’s tragedies we might not feel Grace – the shadow of Grace shelters and sustains us.

A Faithful Response: Ask your brother/sister what are the top three experiences of his/her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment