Sunday, February 7, 2010

Children are young only once

Ruth 4: 16

16 Then Naomi took the child, laid him in her lap and cared for him.

“Dad, will you play trains with me?”, my four year old son asked.
“Dad, will you help me build my trail?”, my five year old son asked.
“Dad, will you ride bikes with me?”, my six year old son asked.
“Dad, will you go swimming with me?”, my seven year old son asks.

How much longer will he ask me to play with him? I wonder when I say ‘no’, if this was the last time. He’s growing up too fast. My legs are cramping more from the MS, my eyesight is worse, my hair is almost all gone. I am already unable to keep up with him sometimes, but don’t tell him that…. In his eyes, I am still the greatest.

The more love I feel as a father the more I begin to glimpse the Love my Heavenly Father has for me. God wants me to spend time with him before it is too late. He wants me to type these devotional reflections before my hands and arms cramp too much from MS. How much time will I waste in front of the television? How much more can I create instead of watching someone else’s creation? I only have one life to live and I want to leave a legacy of faith for my son and his heirs. I want to do so much more for/with my Father, but will I?

I want to do so much with my son, and yet, there’s laundry to do, grass to be mowed, checks to write,… And then I remember: I’ll always have those things to do but my son will only be young once.

A Faithful Response: Play a game with your child/grandchild…..

No comments:

Post a Comment