Monday, June 28, 2010

What Can I Control?

Genesis 1: 1

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

There are many things that I cannot control. I cannot control the path of hurricanes or zany drivers. Nor can I control the randomness of disease or heartbreak nor my genetically-tied balding head, but I can control some things.

I can control my weight. Living in the richest nation on earth does not exempt me from controlling what I eat. I know my eating less or more frugally will not send more to starving millions around the world. But I also know there is something innately profane about the words “All You Can Eat” when who knows how many people do not have enough to eat for one meal today. I can control my weight by how much I allow myself to eat and how much I exercise. Do you think Jesus was ever over-weight?

I can control my response to other people. When someone sounds off to me I often respond with a moment of silence,… I find that the absence of words can often diffuse a volatile situation. A soothing voice often subconsciously reminds the person that the person he or she is speaking with is not the enemy; more often the level of initial frustration arises out of a situation or miscommunication. While there are times when a passionate retort is needed, these outbursts are used far too often in our society. The toughest fight may be taking the initiative for peace in a relationship.

And while I cannot control my relationship with God, I can certainly strive to improve my christian faith by spending time listening and reflecting upon the living Word of God in my life. I believe my search for the Grace to distinguish between the things that I cannot control in my life and the things that I can control is foundational to anything that I seek to control in my life. For no matter how deep I think my relationship with God is: “In the beginning, God…” God is always my beginning.

A Faithful Response: Create a daily exercise plan if you do not already have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment