Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mustard Seed Faith...

Mark 4: 26-34

26 He also said, "This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. 27 Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. 28 All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. 29 As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come."

My now 18 year old son began praying the dinner blessing as a very little boy. He learned good praying habits but more than that, God probably smiled at the earnest child giving thanks to God his father more than any words I can dream up. Once a small friend corrected him for saying, ‘God is great, God is great.’ My little boy in turn corrected me for using the repeated words as I proudly mimicked him at one meal. However, when I assured him that God is always great, he happily went back to praying, ‘God is great, God is great.’

College Park Baptist Church has a wonderful tradition. Easter morning the worshippers are encouraged to bring fresh flowers to put into a wire mesh surrounding a six foot cross. The whole congregation participates in this colorful procession. Huge baskets are set on the altar to collect the flowers which then are placed in the wire mesh by several members of the church. Naethan went down with the children for the first time way back when he was three. With the press of the congregational crowd, I lost track of watching him. But as I came to the front of the church with my flower to place in the basket, I spied my little boy wandering with his flower. He saw me at the same time and immediately ran towards me, “Daddy, Daddy,” he cried excitedly, “look at my flower!” I proudly smiled and said very pointedly that he indeed had a beautiful flower. Then I took him by the hand and led him to where the rest of the flowers were being placed .... and I and my son together placed our offering on the altar of God. His mustard seed faith is growing....

What services are special in your memory?

No comments:

Post a Comment