Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Obedience

Hebrews 5: 7-10

7 During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered 9 and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him 10 and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.

Obedience. Boy, do I often fail here. Don’t worry, I’m not going to list my many sins to offer satisfaction for voyeurs of the souls. But I often fail to do the things I know that I should. Why is that? One reason is probably because, in the midst of my most important busy schedule, I do not sit and reflect on God’s word often enough. This passage tells me that Jesus “offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries…” If Jesus, God’s Son, spent time in prayer, then why don’t I?

A friend of mine’s wife recently had minor surgery. He called me the night before and asked, “Can you sit with me for the two hours?” I said “Sure” and was immediately humbled by his request. What could I offer him? I had never sat with another man in the hospital and did not know what to say. But then I began to realize that he was seeking my presence more than anything I could say. We sat and we shared and I began to realize the strength in having another present in the time of one’s need. I hope that I have the courage to ask a friend to come and sit with me in my time of need.

That Great Myth of Self-Sufficiency. We just can’t make it on our own resources. Jesus cried out to God his Father to sustain him through his time of trial. Would he have made it had he not cried out? I do not know. Can we make it if we do not cry out? I doubt it.

A Faithful Response: Visit someone in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment